California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP)
2018-2019 CAASPP Information letters for Parents
- Bacich – Assistant Principal Methinee Bozeman
- Kent – Assistant Principal Jenny Walsh – April 25, 2019 and May 2, 2019
You are an important part of your child’s education. To help your child get ready for the test you can:
- Talk about the test with your child. Make sure they are not scared or anxious.
- Tell your child that you and their teacher have high expectations and are both there to help, every step of the way.
- Take a practice test with your child.
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep and a nutritious breakfast before testing.
- Your child will be allowed to eat a snack before testing each day next week. Please consider packing an extra snack for him/her to eat.
- If possible, please refrain from making appointments for your child during their testing window (doctor, dentist, etc.).
Since 2016, Kentfield students in third through eighth grade have participated in the annual administration of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) for English Language Arts and Mathematics.
The assessment measures student skill mastery and depth of understanding, writing, research, and problem-solving skills more thoroughly than past assessment tests.
Since the adoption of the Next Generation Science Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (CA NGSS) in 2013, the California Department of Education has been developing a new science assessment—the California Science Test (CAST)—aligned with these standards. In 2018-2019, science assessments will be given to students in fifth and eighth grades, however because this is the first administration of CAST, science results will not be official.
Using this websites, families can become involved in their child’s progress and:
- Learn more about the performance areas in each subject and grade.
- See sample test questions.
- Prepare for parent-teacher conferences with a useful downloadable guide.
- Access high-quality resources to support learning at home.
Starting Smarter for the CAASPP can be found at ca.startingsmarter.org.