Safe Routes to School
The Kentfield School District encourages all families to actively participate in our nationally-recognized KSD Safe Routes to School program, a neighborhood-focused initiative to advocate green travel alternatives and address traffic safety at our schools. The goal of the program is to offer students safer and greener alternatives to get to and from school.
The team of Neighborhood Captains will provide you suggested safe route maps, schedules for walking and cycling to school, and carpooling options all customized by neighborhood. They will also advocate for traffic safety concerns on behalf of the families in your neighborhood.
Please consider walking or biking with your children to school. This will reduce traffic congestion around our schools, allow you to spend quality time with your children, and give them some healthful exercise before school. Children arrive at school alert and ready to learn. Our KSD Safe Routes to School program provides suggested safe walking and biking route plans and has organized walking and biking groups for every neighborhood in our district.
Remember to Travel Green Wednesdays!
- Walk and Roll Morning Dates for Giveaway Table - Walk and Roll Wednesdays Giveaway Days
Public Bus Option for Kent Students
- The Marin Transit Bus 29 has a route designed perfectly for our kids. The bus picks up on SFD and Eliseo at 8:12 a.m. and drops off at College of Marin at 8:17 a.m. It's a short walk to the crosswalk and then to Kent. It costs $1 per child.
Please refer to this map to determine your school district neighborhood. Neighborhood Captains provide suggested safe route maps, schedules for walking and cycling to school, and carpooling options all customized by neighborhood. The Captains also advocate for traffic safety concerns on behalf of the families in your neighborhood.
Beatrice McMillan, email@example.com
Sarah Poser, firstname.lastname@example.org
Marci Sumski, email@example.com
Silvia Reyes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Connie Zlot, email@example.com
Rob Tulipani, firstname.lastname@example.org
Zack Macdonald, email@example.com
Walking and Rolling to School Safety Tips
Driving to School Safety Tips
If you choose to drive your children to school, please keep the following 5 Traffic Safety Tips in mind:
- Expect the unexpected. Children can dart out unexpectedly. Follow the speed limit, yield to crossing guards and be vigilant.
- Drive slowly and carefully. Do not block sidewalks or driveways, and stop at all crosswalks. Be sure to look right before you turn right to ensure that a child is not crossing the street.
- Don't text or talk on your phone while driving.
- Budget extra travel time. School areas are congested, so allow for more time to get where you are going. The extra time will help avoid bouts of road rage and accidents.
- Be a good role model. Help your children learn and practice the safety rules for walking, biking, or driving. Always buckle up in the car, wear a helmet when biking, and follow pedestrian safety rules.
We look forward to a safe and healthy school year and hope you will consider a "green travel" alternative (walking, biking, or carpooling) for transporting your child to school. By doing so, you will contribute to the health and safety of the entire school community as well as your own child(ren).
If you have any questions about the KSD Safe Routes to School Program, contact one of our Neighborhood Captains.