Kentfield School District
May 9th, 2019
Don't Miss These Announcements
- Earth Day Celebration: Friday, May 10, 2019, sign up to volunteer here
- Bacich Volunteer Appreciation Tea: June 6, 2019, 8:30-10:30 a.m., Bacich Community Center
- Bacich Book Drive for Marin Community Clinic through May 17, 2019
- Grades for Hexamester 5 are now available on Aeries.
- Kent Volunteer Appreciation Reception: May 22, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
- New Updates for Kent Graduation - Six Flags permission slip, donation form, and Grad Week volunteer sign-up.
- All eighth graders are expected to be at school on the last day, June 14th, with a noon dismissal.
Measles outbreak information from the Marin County Public Health Officer
CAASPP Tips and Schedules
- Learn more about CAASPP at Bacich from Assistant Principal Methinee Bozeman and at Kent from Assistant Principal Jenny Walsh.
- CAASPP resources - sample tests, parent guides, and information
Starting Smarter for the ELPAC: elpac.startingsmarter.org.
Emergency Contact and Notification Information
We are currently attempting to ensure that all families have both accurate and adequate emergency contact information in our system, and communications notification preferences set as desired. Please click here to read these important instructions.
Changing Schools for 2019-2020?
If you anticipate that your student will not be returning to Bacich Elementary School or Kent Middle School next year for any reason, please contact the school office.
- Bacich: Krista Geissberger (email@example.com) or Lynn Bartha (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Kent: Lisa Sandberg (email@example.com)
Friday, May 10, 2019
Saturday, May 11, 2019
- kik Spring Event and Auction, 5–10 p.m., more information
May 13-17, 2019: Fourth Grade CAASPP Testing, more information
Monday, May 13, 2019
- KSPTA meeting, 8:30-10 a.m., Kent Room 34, agenda
- Kent Author Visit by Alan Gratz, Refugee - read Kent section for more information
- Communications Committee meeting, 1-2 p.m., District Office, agenda
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
School Board meeting, 5-7 p.m., District Office
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
- WEB, Mathletes, Margie Burke & KQED Perspectives Lunch, 1:15–2:15 p.m. – students only
Thursday, May 16, 2019
- Bacich Site Council applications are due to the Bacich Office
- Kent Site Council Letters of Interest due to Kristi Burlingame, firstname.lastname@example.org
- DELAC meeting, 5:45-7 p.m., District Office.
- Pizza will be served and 5:45 p.m. and the meeting will begin at 6 p.m.
- Childcare and translation will be provided.
Friday, May 17, 2019
Sunday, May 19, 2019
Save the Date
Tuesday, May 21, 2019: Re-classification Ceremony, 6-7:30 p.m., Kent MP room
Wednesday, May 22, 2019
- Safety Committee meeting, 9-10 a.m., District Office
- Kent Volunteer Appreciation Reception, 1:30 p.m.
Monday, May 27, 2019: No School – Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 28, 2019: School Board meeting, 5-7 p.m., District Office
School Board Information
- Next Regular Board Meeting:
- May 14, 2019, 5-7 p.m., District Office
- May 28, 2019, 5-7 p.m., District Office
- The Agenda will be posted by 5 p.m. the Friday before the meeting.
Communications Committee Meeting: May 13, 2019, 1-2 p.m., District Office, agenda
DELAC Meeting: May 16, 2019, 5:45-7 p.m., District Office, agenda
Safety Committee Meeting: May 22, 2019, 9-10 a.m., District Office
Finance Committee Meeting: June 13, 3:45 –4:45 p.m., District Office
English Language Learners
DELAC meeting: May 16, 2019, 5:45-7 p.m., District Office, agenda
- Pizza will be served and 5:45 p.m. and the meeting will begin at 6 p.m.
- Childcare and translation will be provided.
Re-classification Ceremony: May 21, 2019, 6-7:30 p.m., Kent MP Room
English Language Learner Resources and English Learners Website
Bacich Principal Sally Peck
Bacich Assistant Principal Methinee Bozeman
Earth Day Celebration: Friday, May 10, 2019
- Fun, Earth-friendly activities will be set up on the blacktop for students TK-fourth grade to enjoy during their lunch recess
- Volunteer here to help with lunchtime activities between 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Bacich Book Drive
Are your bookcases overflowing with books your kids have outgrown? Or are they boxed, cluttering your garage, and in need of being donated?
The Bacich Student Council’s Fifth Annual Book Drive benefitting the Marin Community Clinic is the perfect place to donate them!
Through May 17, 2019, our school will be collecting gently used or new kids books to donate to the Marin Community Clinic. The Marin Community Clinic offers medical services to underserved communities across Marin, providing vital health and welfare services to populations that would otherwise go without such necessary benefits. For every child that comes through the clinic, either as a patient or accompanying one, the clinic offers them a complimentary book to promote reading and encourage learning! The clinic relies solely on donations for this offering – and our book drive over the last five years provided enough books to give a book to every child for the entire year, every year, for the last five years!!!
Our goal this year is to surpass last years' total of 2,000 books, so we welcome your participation and that of anyone you know!
Please bring your books to Bacich, and deposit them in the bins outside of Ms. Bozeman and Ms. Peck's office! They will be collected, tallied, and distributed to kids at the clinic on May 17, 2019!
- If you walk and roll to school, check in at the Safe Routes to School table to get a card and stamp to enter the scooter raffle on May 29, 2019.
Bacich Site Council
Next Meeting: June 3, 2019, 3-4 p.m., Bacich Library. All parents are welcome to attend.
- Please visit our Site Council page for meeting dates, agendas, and minutes.
Site Council Election
- Applications for the three open seats for 2019-2020 will be available online or in the office.
- Applications are due May 16, 2019.
- Elections will be held May 20-24, 2019.
- Bacich Site Council Online Application - 2019 - The online application form.
- Bacich Site Council Application - The printable PDF application form. Please return to the office by May 16, 2019.
Follow Bacich on Instagram
Bacich Elementary School @bacichelementary
Bacich STEAM Projects @bacichsteam
Bacich Library @bacichlibrary
Kent Principal Mr. Althouse
Assistant Principal Jenny Walsh
Kent Library Update
Thanks to all who supported our successful Kent and Book Passage event last week.
On Monday, Kent will welcome Alan Gratz, author of our All School Read, Refugee. This is a very exciting moment that we have been preparing for all year, and we can't wait for an action packed day of learning with him.
If your child has a copy of any of Alan's books, they can bring them Monday to be signed during recess in the library. We will have a special schedule that day to accommodate an assembly for fifth and sixth graders and another for seventh and eighth.
All students who entered our essay contest are invited to have lunch with the author, Ms. Schott, Mr. Althouse, and Ms. Jelen, and all "super fans" who have read two or more of Alan's books are invited to special Q&A session in the library. It should be a great day!
Thank you for the KSPTA for providing a generous grant to help make this day possible!!!
Pizza Lunch and Book Club
Grab a copy of Ghost Boys by Jewel Parker Rhodes from the library or your language arts teacher, then come to our event on May 21, 2019 at lunch in Room 24.
View Kent Daily Announcement on Kent website.
Grades for Hexamester 5 are now available on Aeries.
Kent Volunteer Appreciation Reception on May 22, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
Information about the new bell schedule being tested this week at Kent.
Together We Can!
- New community service opportunities for Kent students on May 19, 2019.
- Sign Up Here to participate in the new community service initiative.
School Supply Drive
We are in our final week of collecting school supplies to send with the incredible organization, Opening the World, to a refugee camp near Athens, Greece.
Please send your unused or gently used school supplies to Room 34 and put in your House box.
So far Caracara and Peregrine are neck-in-neck for the lead! Let's do this, Merlin and Kestrel!
Kent School Site Council
Next Meeting: June 4, 2019, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Main Office Conference Room
- All Kent parents are welcome to attend School Site Council meetings. Please visit our Site Council page for meeting dates, agendas, and minutes.
Site Council Election
- Applications for the two open seats for 2019-2020 are available by contacting Site Council member Kristi Burlingame (email@example.com) by Thursday, May 16, 2019.
- Interested incoming fifth or sixth grade parent/guardian applicants are invited to share a short summary of their interests and qualifications to serve on this committee, which we will post in the Parent Bulletin on May 17, 2019.
8th Grade Announcements
Last Day of School - June 14th Rumor
There is a rumor going around (or is it wishful thinking?!) that eighth graders do not have to attend school on the last day, June 14th. This is not true. All Falcons are expected to be at school that day with a noon dismissal. Eighth graders have a final ceremony walk through that day as well as other special events. Any questions? Please email Melissa Stephens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Future Redwood High School Families
Would you like a way to be more connected to parents of your child’s Freshman class? Redwood Parents Connect, a Redwood-specific parent-led community, would like to welcome you to join the community! Go to redwoodparentsconnect.com/2023 for more info! Parent groups are now forming for the incoming freshman class, and there is a closed Facebook group just for parents of Redwood's Class of 2023. Sign up now!
Click here for Eighth Grade Graduation Information
Diploma Name Instructions
Please complete this form to input the exact name as you would like it for your child's diploma.
Visit the 8th Grade Graduation Website for New Information on
- Volunteer for Graduation Week events.
- Six Flags Permission Slip - please return to the Kent Office
- Graduation Donation Form - please return to the Kent Office
Safe Routes to School
Safe Routes to School Events
Do you know a student that you admire who enjoys biking? Nominate your Bike Hero for his/her chance to win a $50.00 gift card. Go to saferoutestoschools.org for more information. Nominations accepted till 5:00 p.m. on May 31, 2019.
Upcoming Walk & Roll Wednesdays: May 15, 2019 and May 22, 2019
Walk & Roll Wednesday Welcome Table Volunteer Sign Up
Visit Safe Routes to School for Walk & Roll information, safety tips in English and Spanish, neighborhood safe route maps, and public bus to Kent information.
New Website and App
Marin Commutes is a new website and app to keep you informed about local programs to ease your commute through the use of public transit, biking, walking, and other alternatives to car trips.
Through June 9, 2019, win prizes when you log your green trips in the My Marin Commute system. Whether you walk, bike, take transit or share the ride, your decision to use a green commute option is good choice for your well-being and the environment! For more details on how to get started and log your trips, click here.
kik Auction | Dinner | Dancing: Saturday, May 11, 2019
Can’t make it to the Spring Event? Please check out the online auction and donate to our Fund a Need to upgrade the Bacich playground!
Visit the kik website for more information: www.kikschools.org/ways-to-give/events/spring-event/
Any contribution at any level makes an impact on our schools.
Help us reach 100% participation for our schools.
Next KSPTA Meeting: May 13, 2019, 8:30-10 a.m., Kent Room 34, agenda
Volunteer for Bacich Earth Day!
- Friday, May 10, 2019
Bacich is celebrating Earth Day, and parent help is needed to pull off the celebration. The day will include many fun activities for students to learn how our actions impact the Earth, and ways in which we can all protect our environment.
We need parent volunteers to assist with our lunchtime activities between 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. During this time we will have several booths where children will participate in an activity or game to learn about climate control, recycling, water conservation, and other environmental considerations.
Please sign up to help with these booths and join your children for a sunny Friday lunchtime celebration of Earth Day 2019 at Bacich!
KSPTA supports Wait Until 8th
The Wait Until 8th pledge empowers parents to rally together to delay giving children a smartphone until at least eighth grade. By banding together, we can decrease the pressure felt by kids and parents alike over smartphones. Our peers in Ross, Corte Madera, Larkspur, the Reed District, and throughout the Bay Area are doing the Wait Until 8th movement.
- To learn more, come to the KSPTA meeting on May 13, 2019 or visit www.waituntil8th.org.
- Wait Until 8th information flyer
School Supply Ordering
More information on pre-ordering school supplies: kspta.org/order-next-years-school-supplies-for-bacich-students/
- Kent school ID: KEN163
- Bacich school ID: BAC007
Last Day to Order is July 7, 2019
Connect with KSPTA!
Facebook: Kentfield Schools PTA
These programs are not sponsored by the Kentfield School District. Distributing flyers and information is a community service and does not imply endorsement.
Dual Full-Immersion Spanish Classes at Bacich and Kent
Join Viva el Español to learn Spanish through games, songs, stories and art projects in a full-immersion environment in the morning before school.
Bacich Viva el Español
- 1st-3rd Grade: Monday-Friday, 7:20-8 a.m.
- 2nd - 5th Grade Continuing Students: Monday–Friday, 7:20-8 a.m.
- Click here to register: link here. Register by May 31, 2019 and save up to $100 with our Early Bird price.
Kent Viva el Español
- 5th-6th Grade: Monday–Friday, 7:40-8:20 a.m.
- Click here to register. Register by May 31, 2019 and save up to $100 with our early bird price.
All classes run September 9, 2019 to June 5, 2020.
For more information please visit www.vivaelespanol.org or call 415-326-5199.
You may also contact Alisa Rubel at email@example.com for Kent-specific information.
SchoolLink: Buy Books! Help Schools!
Shop at Book Passage, mention your school, and your school will receive a percentage of purchases back as a donation.