Kentfield School District
May 3rd, 2021
New Translation Feature! Click the "Translate" button at the top of the website to translate this newsletter and any page on our website. The translation does not work on image text or PDF documents.
Dear KSD Community,
Today launched the start of National Educator Appreciation week, where we pay tribute to the work of our educators in classrooms, on school yards and throughout school buildings across our nation. From nutritious treats to inspirational notes, a plethora of flowers to the kind words from our students, I am honored to be a part of this profession and I thank you for entrusting us with your child’s education.
Later this month, Marin County will honor every single public educator as well our local Public Health for doing their part to get our students back into the classroom. Join us for this virtual event on Thursday, May 20 via YouTube at 3:30 p.m.
Take good care!
*For security, Zoom links and passwords for events are not posted on the District website, and are sent through ParentSquare.
Tuesday, May 4, 2021
- Kent Site Council meeting, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- DELAC meeting, 6-7 p.m.
Friday, May 7, 2021
- Deadline for community input on COVID relief funds survey
May 3-14, 2021
- KSPTA Kids Closet clothing collection
Wednesday, May 12, 2021
- National Bike to School Day
- Local Control and Accountability Plan/Strategic Plan meeting, 4-5:30 p.m.
- KIK Board meeting, 7:30-9 p.m.
Thursday, May 13, 2021
- Reclassification Ceremony, 6-7 p.m., Bacich Courtyard
Monday, May 17, 2021
Deadline for Input Extended! COVID Relief Funds Community Survey Now Due May 7, 2021
We are extending community input to help prioritize the new Expanded Learning Opportunity Grant Funds. Below are resources, which offer more background on how these dollars may be used and an input form to gather feedback.
Thank you in advance for your feedback and engagement.
- COVID Relief Funds – Webinar Recording
- COVID Relief Funds – Webinar Slide Deck
- COVID Relief Funds – INPUT Form due May 7, 2021
Ride Your Bike to School!
To spread the joy of biking, Marin Safe Routes To Schools is celebrating National Bike To School Day on Wednesday, May 12.
Reclassification Ceremony on May 13
- May 13, 2021, 6 p.m., Bacich Courtyard
We are thrilled to be celebrating our English Learning families in a Reclassification Ceremony! The ceremony will recognize the amazing ability to use two languages and will highlight the students who have recently been reclassified as English Proficient.
Join the Celebration – Submit a Congratulations Video!
We are inviting the entire community to join us in celebrating this achievement by submitting a short (10-30 second) video saying congratulations to our honorees for a video montage to be shown that night. Please send to Amber Hatfield at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Crosswalk at Wolfe Grade & Sir Francis Drake
A new crosswalk has been created at Sir Francis Drake and Wolfe Grade and opens today. We continue to support students using the overpass for the safest way to and from school.
- Students should continue to use the current route they’ve been using going to/from school.
- Kent bicyclists should proceed down to the Laurel Grove crosswalk to cross with the crossing guard as they do now, and then proceed down McAllister to school (instead of using the new crosswalk and riding through Bacich campus).
- Kent and Bacich walkers should continue to use the overpass or the Laurel Grove crosswalk.
- Learn more at Safe Routes.
School Board Information: video recordings of meetings, community letters, minutes, trustee contacts
- Next Monthly School Board meeting: Tuesday, May 11, 2020, 5 p.m., Zoom
- All are welcome and encouraged to attend via Zoom.
- Addressing the Board
District English Learners Advisory Committee (DELAC) meeting: Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 6-7 p.m.
Local Control and Accountability Plan/Strategic Plan (LCAP) meeting: Wednesday, May 12, 4-5:30 p.m.
Marin Public Health School Update Recording: View the recording from the May 3 update on vaccination distribution, testing, and other pertinent information for schools.
COVID-19 Testing at the District Office
Everyone who lives or works in Marin and is 16 years old or older may receive a vaccine.
- Book an appointment
- Learn more during weekly vaccine informational sessions hosted by Public Health, every Tuesday and Thursday at 9 a.m. through May 27.
COVID-19 Information & Resources – vaccines, testing, public health orders
In-Person Instruction Information – safety plans, exposure measures
Bacich Bears News
Dear Bacich Families,
We are basking in the glow of gratitude at Bacich this week.
Thank you so much for showering our teachers and staff with heartfelt signs of appreciation. It was so fun to come on campus this morning and see all of the fabulous door decorations. Students arrived with homemade cards for their teachers in hand. There are still more plans for recognizing teachers throughout this week, and you can feel the joy bursting out of each classroom.
Another thing we are so grateful for is all of the students who participated in the Variety Show. They were so brave, interesting, talented, and funny! Katie Levine and Amy Wheeler did all of the heavy lifting to put the show together and it came out wonderfully. Last Friday, I introduced the show "live" through Zoom in all of the classes, and then they showed the video. Students were talking about it all day.
We are also grateful for the addition of room 34 on the Bacich campus this year. In today’s Bacich Bear Broadcast, the school was formally introduced to the class by the students, staff, siblings, and parents. This video helps us kick off a month about learning about our differences as well as reflecting on our similarities. This Friday, I will be playing the songs of Stevie Wonder, one of my favorite musicians, who is blind.
Finally, the winners of the fourth grade cover art contest for the yearbook have been announced! The winner of the front cover is Vivian Tetzlaff and the four winners for the back cover are Freya Morris, Corrina Bouligny, Kaisa Johnson, and Brittany Vela. Congratulations! And a big thank you to Meghan Levin for completing the yearbook under the wire so kids can receive it in June!
Have a great week!
Mary Ann Spitzer
May 7, 2021: Current 4th grade families, instrument preference is due to Kent.
May 19, 2021: Bacich Principal Chat, 8:45 a.m.
Attention 4th Grade Families!
- Please fill out this linked google form to indicate your instrument preference in music for your child’s fifth grade year.
- Due by this Friday, May 7th.
Bacich Bear Broadcast: May 3, 2021
Order Limited Edition Bacich Spirit Wear & 4th Grade Yard Signs
Missed the Principal Chat on Social Justice Curriculum? Don’t worry! Here is the recording of the chat as well as the slide deck with links to curriculum and videos.
Bacich Art Blog
Visit Ms. Libby's latest blog post featuring the Bacich school wide K-4th grade community action step bookmark project and 1st grade bird sketches.
Read Ms. Warnick's May blog post for her book recommendations for May day, Mother's Day, and Memorial Day.
Bacich Library Check Out and Curbside Pick Up
- Email the books you want to check out to Librarian Ms. Warnick email@example.com.
- See the library blog for instructions on how to access the Alexandria Library Catalog to look for books.
- Some books may be able to be delivered to the classrooms, and the others will pick up their orders on Friday. Ms. Warnick will let you know. Curbside pick up available every Friday in front of the Bacich Office. The books will be placed in plastic bags with your names on them on a cart.
- Please return books on Friday in the red plastic bin labeled, "Return Bacich Library Books Here" in front of the office.
Kent Falcons News
Greetings Kent Families,
Planning for next year is well underway, as we prepare to implement our full-day bell schedule and full course offering at Kent Middle school for the 2021-22 school year. We prioritize opportunities for student choice in their day, and there are a variety of choices that students can make regarding their experience next year.
Please see the notes below about information we need from your children in order to plan for 2021-22.
- 5th Grade Music – Rising 4th grade families, please fill out this linked google form to indicate your instrument preference in music for your child’s 5th grade year. Due by this Friday, May 7th.
- 6th Grade Music – Rising 5th grade families, please fill out this linked google form to indicate your instrument preference in music for your child’s 6th grade year. Due by this Friday, May 7th.
- 7th and 8th Music – Rising 6th and 7th grade families, please fill out this linked google form to indicate your child’s interest to participate in our zero period instrumental, choir, and jazz music ensembles. Due by Friday, May 14th.
- 7th and 8th Grade Enrichments – Rising 6th and 7th grade students, this week in history class you will have a chance to select the enrichments you would like to be enrolled in for your 7th or 8th grade year. We will do our best to ensure that each student gets enrolled in classes that you are excited about for next year. Due by this Friday, May 7th.
- If you know that your 5th, 6th, or 7th grade student is not returning to Kent next year, please email Lisa Sandberg (firstname.lastname@example.org) when you are certain about your plans.
This information regarding plans and requests for next year will prove essential as we plan for what lies ahead. Please reach out to me at any time with questions you may have about our educational programming next year and beyond.
Lastly, you are likely aware that we are administering our spring assessment, the MAP Growth assessment, at school this week for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders, and next week for 5th graders. Please refrain from pulling your student out of school during these two weeks, if at all possible, so that we can provide for a cohesive and consistent testing environment for our children.
Week of May 3: MAP Growth spring math and reading assessments for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students
Week of May 10: MAP Growth spring math and reading assessments for 5th grade students
May 7, 2021
- Rising 5th Grade students – musical instrument preference is due
- Rising 6th Grade students –musical instrument preference is due
- Rising 6th and 7th grade students – enrichment selections are due. Information will be given during history class
May 14, 2021
- Rising 6th and 7th grade students – Zero period instrumental, choir, and jazz music ensembles interest form due to indicate your child’s interest to participate in our zero period instrumental, choir, and jazz music ensembles. Due by Friday,
May 14, 2021: Kent Principal Chat, 9:15 a.m.
8th Grade Families – Save the Date!
- Graduation: June 10, 2021, 6 p.m., Kent field
- Safety protocols, attendee capacity, and more information to be provided soon.
Deadline Extended! Don't miss the chance to order Limited Edition Kent spirit wear & 8th Grade Yard Signs
- Sales end May 13
Assessments, Family Life, and Teens in Transition information mentioned in Grant Althouse's letter on April 26
Daily school lunch program at Kent: visit KSPTA to order.
Kent Counselors Wellness Hub: Easily access resources to help navigate this challenging time.
- Email Ms. Jelen at email@example.com to check out books.
- Return books to the same cart where you pick up books – right outside the Kent gate when it's not raining and right in front of the library when it is.
The latest newsletter from Be the Influence, a parent education program on youth substance use, is on the health risks of “wellness” vaping products (essential oils, vitamins) that we are seeing in Marin middle schools, as well as nicotine products (pouches, gum, lozenges). The newsletter also covers new research on the addictiveness to youth of today’s cannabis compared to alcohol and other drugs and the opportunity to discuss with your child given last week’s “420 celebrations.” Read all about it here.
THE KIK ONLINE AUCTION IS OPEN FOR BIDDING!
The Online Auction is LIVE NOW until Saturday, May 8th at 9:00pm.
Please support our Fund-A-Need: KIK Grants for KSD Kids
- Grants will be administered by the KSPTA
- These grants will inspire learning across all grade levels at Bacich and Kent. Check out the grants that our generous parent donors supported from last year.
Thank you for your support—the dollars we raise helps ALL KSD students!
Donations & Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amazing getaways to Lake Tahoe:
- 5 nights at Martis Camp
- Spend May 21-23 on the North Shore
- 4 nights in Meeks Bay
- 4 nights in Kings Beach
- 2 nights at The Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island of Hawaii
- $1000 gift card to Single Thread in Healdsburg
- Spend Thanksgiving at the Westin Desert Willow Villas in Palm Desert
- $1500 gift card to The Battery Hotel in San Francisco
SPA + BEAUTY
- Luzern Oxygen Facial from International Orange
- Beauty products from Saint Jane Beauty
- $500 gift card + products from Southern Marin Dermatology
- $150 gift card to Laser Center of Marin
- Brow Bash Party at Benefit Cosmetics
- A casual and a fancy dinner package in SF
- Gift card, champagne and priority reservations at Guesthouse & Perry’s
- SF2BAY Pop Ups: Burma Superstar, Oren’s Hummus, Dumpling Time
- Great lunch spots: Rustic Bakery, Comfort’s, Blue Barn, Gott’s
- Perfect date nights: Picco, Flores, Cucina, and many more dining gift cards donated by KSD families
OUT & ABOUT
- Duke Men’s Basketball Tickets
- Golf at The Olympic Club, Meadow Club, Napa Country Club, Marin Country Club, Richmond Golf Club, Bay Club Stonetree
- Sunrise bike ride up Mt. Tam
- One day fly fishing trip
- Kayak or SUP rental
SIGN UP PARTIES: SIGN UP NOW!
- Crab Feed - 10 spots added each day!
- Clear the clutter with Laura Harrison/Less Mess More Life
- Tom Poser’s Basketball Clinic: 3rd-5th and 6th-8th
- Dave Levine’s Shooting Competition
- Ladies Backyard Movie & BBQ
- Sushi Class
- Hike & Lunch
PARTY AT HOME KITS: ORDER BY TUE 5/4
Tuesday is the last day to order Farm to Function gourmet charcuterie boxes and William Tell House for drink kits for you to enjoy at home. 20% of Farm to Function sales and 25% of William Tell House kits will go back to support KSD kids.
- Order your Farm to Function charcuterie box and William Tell House drink kits by Tuesday, May 4th.
- Mother’s Day is right around the corner, these make great gifts!
- The pick up party will be this Friday, May 7th from 4-6pm at 100 McAllister.
- For updates & reminders: Follow us on Facebook & Instagram
Thank you to Farm to Function and William Tell House for their generosity!
THANK YOU TO OUR AUCTION SPONSORS & DONORS
Woodlands Market | Left Bank | Own Marin | Boulevard Real Estate | Carey Condy Real Estate | Colleen Fitzpatrick Real Estate | Allison Fortini Crawford Real Estate | Fuel 24:7 | Domain Marin | Gorton & Schmohl Orthodontics | Body By Buresh | SF2BAY | Mynsberge & Ruggles Oral Surgery | Nichols Orthodontics | Together Home | Amanda Mullholland Compass | MacRostie Winery
Check out the complete list of all of our Spring Auction business and family donors and sign up party hosts. Thank you for supporting our schools!
TUES 5/4: KIK FAMILY MEALS WITH LEFT BANK, 20% TO KIK
Every Tuesday Left Bank creates a KIK family dinner for $50 and donates 20% back to our schools. Opt in to get a weekly email reminder to order.
- May 4: BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad verte
- If your family needs extra portions of the meat or different sides, call Ryan at Left Bank and he can customize a Family Meal that works for you: 415-927-3331
- Check out another Left Bank promotion that also gives back to KIK!
ORDER NOW for pickup on Tuesday. Select “KIK Family Meal.”
Next General KSPTA Meeting: Monday, May 10, 2020, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Kentfield families and members will receive the Zoom link and password. If you do not receive the link, please contact email@example.com.
The KSPTA would like to extend our sincere thanks and appreciation to all of the KSD staff during this special week to honor educators.
Thank you for all you do for our children!
It's Teacher Appreciation Week!
Do you want to treat a teacher or staff member to a limited edition Bacich or Kent tee? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll help make it happen!
Don't Miss Out! Limited Edition Spirit Wear! Sale Extended – May 13!
KSPTA is excited to celebrate ALL Bacich and Kent students' resilience and perseverance throughout this school year, especially our 4th and 8th graders who are marking major milestones this year!
We are selling special 20202-2021 Bacich and Kent tee shirts (youth and adult sizes) to commemorate this historic year, and for our graduates, we are offering yard signs for 4th and 8th graders.
This is a fundraiser, and all profits will support KSPTA programs at Bacich and Kent for the 2021-2022 school year. With the loss of most of our usual fundraising sources, we will have to make cuts next year, so every dollar helps us provide funds for classroom stipends, after school sports at Kent, and much more!
The Kids Closet needs your donations!
We will be collecting donations Tuesday, May 11 through Friday, May 14 from 8-10 a.m. and Wednesday, May 12 from 3-5 p.m.
Please bring your new or gently used clothing to the Bacich Community Center or the Bacich morning car line where volunteers will be available to help. Thank you!
- More information in English and Spanish
- Volunteers needed as well, sign up here
School Lunch Program with School Foodies
Daily lunch service at Kent and weekly pick-up for Bacich available.
Shop Farm Fresh Produce & Support KSPTA
KSPTA is offering a healthy new way to raise funds for our schools!
We have partnered with “Farm Fresh to You” and 10% of all orders will benefit our kids and teachers in the classroom. Enjoy well-priced and delicious produce and a huge selection of other grocery items delivered right to your door!
Please review this flyer for more information.
Use promo code: kspta
Interested in getting involved in the KSPTA?
Reach out to Erica Applestein, KSPTA President, at email@example.com to learn more about the difference you'll make as a KSPTA leader.
Connect with KSPTA!
Facebook: Kentfield Schools PTA
Visit the KSPTA Distance Learning Resources
KSPTA is proud to support Be the Influence.
Information, events, and news provided in our newsletter's "Community News" is offered as service to our community, and are not sponsored by the Kentfield School District. Placement does not represent an endorsement.
Education Outreach Survey
Digital Marin is a cross-sector collaboration between residents and government, education, nonprofit, business, and other sectors to develop a countywide roadmap for improving internet access, disaster resilience, data sharing, and digital services.
Digital Marin is seeking feedback from the education community via a brief online survey. Responses are anonymous.
Your input will help identify potential projects and priorities for a forward-facing roadmap to ensure that everyone has access to reliable and affordable broadband with the devices and knowledge to take advantage of all online opportunities and services.
- Please take a few minutes to complete the online survey at www.surveymonkey.com/r/DigitalMarinEducation.
Rediscover Summer Fun
Camp Galileo for Pre-K – Rising 5th Graders
Galileo's award-winning camp is back at Kent Middle School this summer! Engage kids in the perfect mix of hands-on learning and unforgettable fun, thoughtfully redesigned for 2021. Small groups and safety protocols keep every Galilean safe. Engaging art, science and outdoor challenges deliver the innovation-igniting experiences kids love. Flexible enrollment policies make planning stress free. It all comes together for a joyful summer.
Financial assistance scholarships available. Program running June 21 - August 6th at Kent Middle School. Optional extended care. Learn more at www.galileo-camps.com.
Curbside Information and Book Bundles
While the Corte Madera Library building is currently closed, you may request and return items, and find details about Curbside Service at marinlibrary.org.
- Tuesday & Wednesday 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Thursday 3-7 p.m.
Call our “Talk with a Librarian” number: 415-473-2272 Monday-Friday, 9-6 p.m. English and Spanish with any questions and information.
Learn more about Book Bundles for Emerging Readers and Audio Books
This free helpline provides free trauma-informed, evidenced-based emotional support to parents, children and youth in any language via calls, text, live chat, and email.
- Available 7 days a week from 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Parents can join a Weekly Online Support Group through the website: caparentyouthhelpline.org.
- Helpline #: 855-427-2736