Kent Falcons News
Greetings Kent Families,
Thank you to our community of parents, students, and community members who shared their appreciations to our teachers and staff in honor of Educator Appreciation week last week. The kind notes, fragrant flowers, and delicious treats across the week lifted spirits and communicated a clear message of value and appreciation. Thank you for these kind efforts!
Please plan to join me this Friday, May 14 for our monthly Principal Chat at Kent. This month’s Principal Chat will focus on transitions to the next grade level. What are the key elements of the next grade level at Kent? What are the best strategies to set my child up for success next year? How does the school plan to meet my child’s needs next year? Expect to get these questions answered, as well as many more, as Assistant Principal Wendy Holmes and I facilitate a discussion on the transition into the 2021-2022 school year for you and your child.
As you may be aware, our Kent School Site Council is a planning and decision making body made up of Kent staff, parents, and students. During our monthly meetings we discuss current events at our school, as well as big picture goals and initiatives that impact our community. It is an engaged group of stakeholders that encourage positive change through their questioning, discussion, and collaboration.
Two parent seats on the Kent Site Council are open for the 2021-2022 school year, and I invite any interested incoming 5th or 6th grade parent/guardian to submit your name for consideration for one of these three-year terms. The Site Council meets on the first Tuesday of the month from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Kent Office. If you are interested in serving on our Kent School Site Council, please email site council member Ina Gotleib (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Thursday, May 20. All applicants are invited to share a short summary of their interests and qualifications to serve on this committee. My sincere appreciation to current and future site council members for their many contributions to our school.
Week of May 10: MAP Growth spring math and reading assessments for 5th grade students
May 14, 2021
- Rising 6th and 7th grade students – Zero period instrumental, choir, and jazz music ensembles interest form due to indicate your child’s interest to participate in our zero period instrumental, choir, and jazz music ensembles.
- Kent Principal Chat, 9:15 a.m. Theme: Transitions to the next grade level.
- Last day to order 8th Grade Hoodie from KSPTA – see information below.
May 20, 2021
8th Grade Families – Save the Date!
- Graduation: June 10, 2021, 6 p.m., Kent field
- Safety protocols, attendee capacity, and more information to be provided soon.
Just a few days left! Don't miss the chance to order Limited Edition Kent spirit wear & 8th Grade Yard Signs
- Orders close May 13!
Kent Counselors Wellness Hub: Easily access resources to help navigate this challenging time.
- Email Ms. Jelen at email@example.com to check out books.
- Return books to the same cart where you pick up books – right outside the Kent gate when it's not raining and right in front of the library when it is.
Kent School Site Council
We are now accepting applications for Site Council positions.
The Kent School Site Council is a planning and decision making body made up of Kent staff, parents, and students. During our monthly meetings we discuss current events at our school, as well as big picture goals and initiatives that impact our community. It is an engaged group of stakeholders that encourage positive change through their questioning, discussion, and collaboration.
- Learn more about Kent Site Council
- Two open positions for 2021-2022
- Incoming 5th or 6th grade parent/guardian are encouraged to apply for one of these three-year terms.
- If you are interested in serving on our Kent School Site Council, please email site council member Ina Gotleib (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Thursday, May 20.
Attention 8th Grade Families! Order a graduating class hoodie!
We are starting a new tradition at Kent Middle School this year with hoodies for the 8th grade graduating class! This is a fundraiser for the KSPTA and a wonderful memento of the children’s time at Kent!! The sweatshirts will have the Kent Logo, the year they are graduating on the sleeve and a name list of all of the graduating 8th graders on the back.
- The cost is $40/sweatshirt and the sizing is men’s S, M, L & XL
- Deadline for Ordering is May 14!
Please log onto this google spreadsheet to enter your order and send your payment right away to Susan Brownridge via Venmo (@Susan-Brownridge) or PayPal (email@example.com), please make a notation of your 8th grader's name in the payment. We will not be able to submit your order until your payment has been received
Thank you for ordering and please contact Susan Brownridge at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
Student Wellness Opportunity
The Youth Leadership Institute is hosting a virtual Mental Health Panel for Middle School students. The panel will provide middle school students with the opportunity to ask current high schoolers questions they may have regarding the transition to high school, how to prioritize their mental health, manage classes, practice self-care, etc.
Students interested in attending the panel should complete this form: bit.ly/mhpanelregistration
May 28, 2021, 4-5:30 p.m., Zoom
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/99129905007
- Meeting ID: 991 2990 5007