March 18, 2021
Dear Kentfield School District Community,
As our nation mourns the tragic event that took place on March 16th in Atlanta, Georgia, we must acknowledge the devastation and emotion this may bring up for our community. Although the motive of this incident has not been confirmed, six of the eight victims were identified as women of Asian descent and unfortunately, prejudice and hate motivated behavior against the Asian community has been on the rise throughout the country and the Bay Area. Two of the Kentfield School District’s core beliefs are rooted in inclusivity through embracing diversity as an asset and a promise and honoring community connections as vital.
Let’s stand together in the wake of this senseless act of violence to honor the victims of this tragedy and remind one another of the importance of empathy, compassion, and care as we denounce acts of violence and hate. Below are resources shared among colleagues across our county that may support families engage in conversations about Anti-Asian violence, discrimination and hate crimes.
Education & Community Resources
- Anti-Asian Violence Resources
- Asian American Commission: Community Action Guide
- Discussing Hate and Violence with Children
- How to Respond to Coronavirus Racism
- PBS Documentary: Asian Americans
- Gun Violence and Mass Shootings
- Empowering Young People in the Aftermath of Hate
- Helping Students Make Sense of News Stories About Bias and Injustice