October 22, 2020
Dear Kentfield School Community,
This week, KSD administrators and staff have been fully focused on preparing our school sites for a phased approach to site based instruction with a target start date of early November. Some of these preparations include setting up classrooms, painting directionality, ensuring EPE is stocked, setting schedules, and designating outside areas for students.
As we continue to prepare our school sites, we are also discussing feedback about the pilots from students, parents, and teachers to better inform the implementation of KSD’s Hybrid program.
To prepare for this transition we suggest the following:
- Review the Site Specific Safety Protection Plans (SSSPP) for Bacich and/or Kent and watch the Orientation Video. These plans outline how the district is adhering to the Public Health’s 30-Point Guide to a Return to Site Based Instruction, which was approved by Marin County Public Health on September 16th. In these plans, you can find information about ventilation, physical distancing, health screening practices, expected cohort behavior, hygiene practices, and many more safety protocols in our schools.
- Watch the KSD Community Conversation Recording with Local Physicians & Administrators, from October 15, 2020: “A Perspective of In-Person Instruction in a COVID-19 Environment”. This is an excellent presentation made by fellow parent physicians and experts in our community with highly relevant local school and Marin data. We are grateful for their timely contribution.
- Attend the Principal Chats for Bacich and Kent on Tuesday, October 27th. Site administrative teams will respond to questions and give parents/guardians a peek into a Day of Hybrid Instruction for a Bacich Bear or Kent Falcon. These presentations will address questions from the community regarding how school will look from a student perspective. (Time and Zoom information sent in ParentSquare update.).
- Review the KSD Preparation Timeline and Monitor the County Dashboard.
This timeline below provides further clarity about our action steps and what can be expected in the coming week. We feel obligated to open school as soon as possible, and we want to do this in a safe, collaborative, and positive way. We are working tirelessly to prepare our sites, and will be touring each school with KTA Negotiators early next week to provide evidence of all that has been accomplished for the physical and emotional safety of our students and staff.
Marin County’s COVID-19 data continues to move in a positive direction, and according to County Public Health Officer Dr. Matt Willis, Marin is predicted to transition to the Orange Tier as early as October 27th. This positive shift reinforces the KSD’s ability to open schools for in-person instruction as long as our safety measures are in place and have been fully demonstrated to our staff and community. Stay abreast of the most current Coronavirus data related to Marin schools by monitoring the new Marin County Health School Status Dashboard.
We understand and acknowledge the interest in more detailed information about school reopening plans. Please know that we are providing it as quickly and comprehensively as possible. KSD administrators and staff ask for your patience as we all work together to ensure a safe transition to in-person instruction.
In the meantime, we encourage everyone to please stay vigilant: wash your hands, wear your mask, practice physical distancing, and stay home if you feel sick. As our parent physicians reminded us in their presentation, we’re all in this together as a community. So let’s do our part to ensure a safe reopening of school for our students and staff.
Take Good Care,
To get a glimpse into the transformation of our school sites and classrooms click here.
October 16, 2020
- Staff Safety Training Modules
- KSD - KTA Negotiations Session
- Instructional staff advised to mark classroom furniture in preparation for removal and physical distancing
October 19, 2020
- HEPA Air Purifiers ordered for all classrooms and office spaces at Bacich and Kent
October 20, 2020
October 19-23, 2020
- Classroom furniture removed and classrooms marked for physical distancing
- Classrooms checked for hands free sanitizer, hands free soap dispensers, and paper towels
- Outside drinking fountains converted to outside hand washing stations
- Plexi-glass sneeze guards cut and prepared for teacher workstations
October 21, 2020
- HVAC-Ventilation Staff discussion - Part I
- Intent to Return forms due
October 21-26, 2020
- Outside directionality and markings staged and painted at both school sites
October 24-25, 2020
- Internal classrooms set up with desks physically distanced and floor markings
October 26, 2020
- Administrative walk through of sites
October 27, 2020
- KTA and KSD walkthrough of both school sites
- School Site Principal Chats via Zoom Webinar
- 4 p.m. Kent
- 6 p.m. Bacich
- DELAC SSSPP Orientation,Zoom, 7 p.m .
October 28, 2020
- KSD - KTA Negotiations Session
October 29, 2020
- District Communication Update via ParentSquare