Dear KSD Community,
On Thursday, May 13 KSD hosted a Reclassification Ceremony, where twelve (12) of our students, representing five (5) languages, officially achieved bilingualism through being reclassified as English Language proficient. This accomplishment was highlighted as a “Super Power” of our youngsters and something we celebrate and embrace as a community. Being bilingual is an invaluable asset that will be sure to provide endless opportunities for our bilingual students!
Special thanks to Amber Hatfield, Annie Su, Margot Ward, and Christy Chandler for coordinating the event and preparing such a welcoming environment in the Bacich Community Center. Thank you to our school administrators for their personal and moving remarks highlighting this accomplishment for each student. And, thank you to our parents for supporting your children in this meaningful milestone.
Have a fantastic week!
*For security, Zoom links and passwords for events are not posted on the District website, and are sent through ParentSquare.
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
- Bacich Principal Chat, 8:45-9:45 a.m.
- KSPTA Kids Closet Donation Drop Off, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
Thursday, May 20, 2021
- Kindergarten Sneak Peek, see Bacich Bears section for full details.
- Kent Site Council applications due
- KSPTA Kids Closet Donation Drop Off, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
Friday, May 21, 2021
- Bacich Site Council Voting ends – Bacich families please use this form to vote.
Saturday, May 22, 2021
- KSPTA Kids Closet, Bacich, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Monday , May 24, 2021
- Bacich Site Council meeting, 3-4 p.m.
Tuesday, May 25, 2021
- School Board Meeting 5-8 p.m.
Monday, May 31, 2021
- No School, Memorial Day
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
Thursday, June 3, 2021
- Parent Volunteer Celebration, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Bacich
School Board Information: video recordings of meetings, community letters, minutes, trustee contacts
- Next Monthly School Board meeting: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 5 p.m., Zoom
- All are welcome and encouraged to attend via Zoom.
- Addressing the Board
District English Learners Advisory Committee (DELAC) meeting: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 6-7 p.m.
Vaccine Opportunities for 12-15 Year Old Students
- Information Flyer
- Overview of Vaccine Opportunities for 12-15 year old students (English and Spanish)
- Emergency Use Authorization Fact Sheet for Pfizer Vaccination (English and Spanish)
- Vaccine Consent Forms (English and Spanish)
Student Vaccination Town Hall Recording
The Marin County Office of Education, in collaboration with Marin County Public Health and Kaiser Permanente, will be hosting a Town Hall Meeting and Panel Discussion on student vaccinations for parents, guardians and the school community.
Everyone who lives or works in Marin and is 12 years old or older may receive a vaccine.
- Book an appointment
- Learn more during weekly vaccine informational sessions hosted by Public Health, every Tuesday and Thursday at 9 a.m. through May 27.
COVID-19 Information & Resources – vaccines, testing, public health orders
In-Person Instruction Information – safety plans, exposure measures
Bacich Bears News
Dear Bacich Families,
Time is ticking away and there is still so much happening before the end of the school year!
- The last Bacich Principal Chat is this Wednesday, May 19. Please join me and our Assistant Principal, Wendy Holmes, to discuss end of the year items as well as learn about the plans for the fall. The link to the chat was sent this morning on Parent Square.
- The California Teachers Association has identified tomorrow, May 18, as Education Support Professionals Day. I want to take this opportunity to publicly appreciate all of our classified staff members. The custodians, nurses, office personnel, instructional aides, and campus supervisors are really the heart of our school. They work tirelessly to make sure that our students are safe and cared for. They also provide invaluable support for teachers. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all that you do!
- Third and fourth grades are taking the MAP assessment this week. Please be sure your child arrives at school on time and with a good night sleep and a healthy breakfast. They will be taking two assessments, one in Language Arts and one in Math. Parents will receive the MAP assessment results with their child’s final report card in June.
- Third and fourth grade students will also be taking the Youth Truth survey in June. This survey provides us with student voice on how students are feeling about different aspects of school related to academics, social emotional well-being, and safety. The results of this survey will serve as a baseline to guide the development of our school site plan goals as well as the district LCAP.
- Fourth graders will be participating in Step Up Days at Kent the first week of June. Students will walk over to Kent with their class and receive an orientation and tour from Kent staff and students. Also, students at Bacich will participate in our own Step Up Day the last week of school where they visit a classroom of the grade level above them and hear a short presentation from the teacher about next year.
- Later this month, we will bring in a guest speaker, Sam Drazin, for a schoolwide Zoom presentation on what it means to be different as well as understanding visible and invisible differences.
That’s all for now! Have a wonderful week.
Mary Ann Spitzer
May 19, 2021: Bacich Principal Chat, 8:45 a.m. Theme: End of the Year Updates and Next Year Plans
May 20, 2021: Kindergarten Sneak Peek for Incoming Kindergarteners 2021-2022
June 11, 2021: 4th Grade Promotion Ceremony
Fourth grade families will be receiving more information and their official invitation to the fourth grade promotion later this week. You will have the opportunity to RSVP to help us with the planning around seating arrangements in the field.
- June 11, 2021, 9 a.m., Bacich field
- Immediate family only. Event livestream and recording will be available.
- More information on safety guidelines will be available soon.
Vote for the Next Site Council Members!
We have 5 candidates for the School Site Council (SSC). Please use this form to vote for the new members for the 2021-2022 school year. The new members will join the current SSC members for our last meeting of the year on May 24, where we will review Bacich’s draft of the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA). The School Site Council is made up of parents, teachers and administrators who meet monthly to advise the principal on student academics, parent engagement and school safety.
- Please use this form to vote.
- Voting ends Friday, May 21, 2021.
Kindergarten Sneak Peek for Incoming Kindergarteners 2021-2022*
Thursday, May 20, 2021
Last Name A-L:
- 12:45-1:00 p.m.: Check In
- 1:00-1:30 p.m.: Incoming kindergarteners visit the classroom with Bacich teachers and staff
Last Name M-Z
- 2:00-2:15 p.m.: Check In
- 2:15-2:45 p.m.: Incoming kindergarteners visit the classroom with Bacich teachers and staff
Please contact Lynn Bartha with any questions: email@example.com
*This event is for students who are fully registered for fall 2021.
Bacich Library Check Out and Curbside Pick Up
- Email the books you want to check out to Librarian Ms. Warnick firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the library blog for instructions on how to access the Alexandria Library Catalog to look for books.
- Some books may be able to be delivered to the classrooms, and the others will pick up their orders on Friday. Ms. Warnick will let you know. Curbside pick up available every Friday in front of the Bacich Office. The books will be placed in plastic bags with your names on them on a cart.
- Please return books on Friday in the red plastic bin labeled, "Return Bacich Library Books Here" in front of the office.
Kent Falcons News
Greetings Kent Families,
Linked here is the recording from last Friday’s Principal Chat (password: x75L2?.l), where Ms. Holmes and I presented participants with our anticipated 2021/22 instructional program for each grade level at Kent. It was a refreshing and exhilarating exercise to talk through the many incredible elements of our school returning in full next year, and I encourage you to take a peek at the recording, or these linked slides for more information about what to expect for your returning Kent student. 2021-2022 promises to be a triumphant return of all of the important elements that define Kent Middle School!
This week at Kent we conclude our administration of our spring reading and mathematics assessments, the MAP Growth assessment. All grade levels have completed testing, and this week we will conduct final make-up testing for students who needed extra time or missed an assessment. Teachers will be considering the results of the assessments for the students in their classes, analyzing the growth achieved and anticipating next instructional steps. Students and parents will receive the results of the spring MAP Growth assessment when you receive 3rd trimester grades at the conclusion of the school year. As this is a new assessment tool for KSD, the administrative team will ensure that we provide families with resources and explanations for how to interpret your child’s results.
As a follow up to a message from earlier in the year, I wanted to again repeat my expectations for students who choose to visit the Woodlands Shopping Center following school dismissal. Businesses at Woodlands report that some Kent students are leaving behind a significant amount of trash, and others are disrupting business operations, including blocking pathways and making access to entry points difficult for other patrons. The owners of the shopping center are considering limiting access for Kent students after school if this behavior continues. I have shared my expectations with our students via Squawk Talk and other communication channels. If your child goes to Woodlands after school, please check in about your expectations for their behavior in the community. We appreciate our partners and want to support small businesses in our community, while also representing Kent in a way that we can be proud of.
Thursday, May 20, 2021
Friday, May 21, 2021
- 8th grade graduation diploma names due
Friday, May 28, 2021
- 8th grade graduation RSVP due
Thursday, June 10, 2021
- 8th Grade Graduation: , 6 p.m., Kent field
- Safety protocols, attendee capacity, and more information to be provided soon.
Kent School Site Council - deadline approaching!
We are now accepting applications for Site Council positions.
The Kent School Site Council is a planning and decision making body made up of Kent staff, parents, and students. During our monthly meetings we discuss current events at our school, as well as big picture goals and initiatives that impact our community. It is an engaged group of stakeholders that encourage positive change through their questioning, discussion, and collaboration.
- Learn more about Kent Site Council
- Two open positions for 2021-2022
- Incoming 5th or 6th grade parent/guardian are encouraged to apply for one of these three-year terms.
- If you are interested in serving on our Kent School Site Council, please email site council member Ina Gotleib (email@example.com) by Thursday, May 20.
Kent Counselors Wellness Hub: Easily access resources to help navigate this challenging time.
- Email Ms. Jelen at firstname.lastname@example.org to check out books.
- Return books to the same cart where you pick up books – right outside the Kent gate when it's not raining and right in front of the library when it is.
Student Wellness Opportunity
The Youth Leadership Institute is hosting a virtual Mental Health Panel for Middle School students. The panel will provide middle school students with the opportunity to ask current high schoolers questions they may have regarding the transition to high school, how to prioritize their mental health, manage classes, practice self-care, etc.
Students interested in attending the panel should complete this form: bit.ly/mhpanelregistration
May 28, 2021, 4-5:30 p.m., Zoom
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/99129905007
- Meeting ID: 991 2990 5007
ANNUAL COMMITMENT — May Update
With only 3 weeks left in our school year—there’s about $200,000 left to “get to the top”—to support our students and the high-quality programs that serve them.
- $1M Annual Commitment Status : $786,096 (net) to date
We’ve Got This—We are Stronger Together!
PLEASE SUPPORT FUND-A-NEED: KIK GRANTS FOR KIDS
Give to Fund-a-Need today: KIK Grants for KSD Kids
- KIK Grants will be administered with the help of the KSPTA.
- These grants directly fund and support learning across all grades at Bacich and Kent.
Thank you to this year’s Fund-A-Need donors. Can we add you to this list? Please support KIK Grants today—donations accepted through June.
TUES 5/18: KIK FAMILY MEALS WITH LEFT BANK, 20% TO KIK
Every Tuesday Left Bank creates a KIK family dinner for $50 and donates 20% back to our schools. Opt in to get a weekly email reminder to order.
- May 18: Chicken or vegetarian paella with caesar salad, broccoli, mac & cheese
- If you need extra portions of the meat or different sides, call Ryan at Left Bank to customize a Family Meal that works for you: 415-927-3331
- Check out another Left Bank promotion that also gives back to KIK!
ORDER NOW for pickup on Tuesday. Select “KIK Family Meal.”
HOME & GARDEN SPOTLIGHT
With summer around the corner, let KIK business partners help make indoor and outdoor spaces expressly yours to live, play, relax and enjoy:
- Shoshan Construction - Quality you can trust—home additions, remodels, and seismic retrofits. A KSD family-owned business.
- Gardens & Gables - Landscaping is more than just a job, it’s our passion. Landscape architecture, construction and maintenance.
- Northgate Garage Doors - Residential garage door installation, repair and service, and garage doors to enhance the architecture of your home.
- Redwood Security Systems - one of the largest locally owned Bay Area alarm companies protecting families, homes, and businesses from burglaries and fires since 1977.
- Van Midde Concrete - The Van Midde family has been doing concrete for 50+ years—driveways, pools, hardscape, walls, demolition & more.
- Marin Ace - For all your local hardware needs. Buy online, pick up free the same day!
THANK YOU TO FAMILY GIVING DONORS!
- Thank you to the 354 KIK Donors and counting that have been committed to our students this year!
- Can we add your name to the Donor Wall? Give Today
The Kids Closet Donation Period Extended!
The donation period is extended to include this week.
Please drop off donations at Bacich Community Center this Wednesday, May 19 and Thursday, May 20 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
Please bring your new or gently used clothing to the Bacich Community Center or the Bacich morning car line where volunteers will be available to help. Thank you!
The Kids Closet will be open for shopping on May 22, 2021 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Order 2021-2022 School Supplies and Support Your Schools!
Order School Supplies! Save a trip to the store, support sustainability, and raise funds to support school programs like art, PE, music, and more! Order now through June 14.