New Translation Feature! Click the "Translate" button at the top of the website to translate this newsletter and any page on our website. The translation does not work on image text or PDF documents.
Dear KSD Community,
This past week the KSD staff was showered with accolades of appreciation. Notes of gratitude, cheerful signs, beautiful flowers and nutritious treats were just some of the symbols of gratitude offered to our staff. Thank you to our parents, KSPTA and KIK for being a cheerleader for our educators. Your partnership is truly essential in our work, so let’s keep the momentum and remain focused on our common goal of teaching and learning.
Please join us tomorrow night, May 11 at 5 p.m. for our next Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees, some highlights include a first grade Educational Showcase and an update on the COVID Relief Funds.
Take good care,
*For security, Zoom links and passwords for events are not posted on the District website, and are sent through ParentSquare.
Monday, May 10, 2021
Tuesday, May 11, 2021
- KSPTA Kids Closet clothing collection begins
- School Board meeting, 5-8:30 p.m.
- MCOE/Public Health Town Hall on Student Vaccination, 6-7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, May 12, 2021
- National Bike to School Day
- Local Control and Accountability Plan/Strategic Plan meeting, 4-5:30 p.m.
- KIK Board meeting, 7:30-9 p.m.
Thursday, May 13, 2021
- Reclassification Ceremony, 6-7 p.m., Bacich Courtyard
- Last day to order limited edition t-shirts and yard signs from KSPTA
Friday, May 14, 2021
Monday, May 17, 2021
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
- Bacich Principal Chat, 8:45-9:45 a.m.
Thursday, May 20, 2021
- Kindergarten Sneak Peek, see Bacich Bears section for full details.
- Kent Site Council applications due
Saturday, May 22, 2021
- KSPTA Kids Closet, Bacich, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Ride Your Bike to School!
To spread the joy of biking, Marin Safe Routes To Schools is celebrating National Bike To School Day on Wednesday, May 12.
Crosswalk at Wolfe Grade & Sir Francis Drake
A new crosswalk has been created at Sir Francis Drake and Wolfe Grade and opens today. We continue to support students using the overpass for the safest way to and from school.
- Students should continue to use the current route they’ve been using going to/from school.
- Kent bicyclists should proceed down to the Laurel Grove crosswalk to cross with the crossing guard as they do now, and then proceed down McAllister to school (instead of using the new crosswalk and riding through Bacich campus).
- Kent and Bacich walkers should continue to use the overpass or the Laurel Grove crosswalk.
- Learn more at Safe Routes.
School Board Information: video recordings of meetings, community letters, minutes, trustee contacts
- Next Monthly School Board meeting: Tuesday, May 11, 2020, 5 p.m., Zoom
- All are welcome and encouraged to attend via Zoom.
- Addressing the Board
Local Control and Accountability Plan/Strategic Plan (LCAP) meeting: Wednesday, May 12, 4-5:30 p.m.
Town Hall on Student Vaccination: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 from 6-7:30 p.m.
The Marin County Office of Education, in collaboration with Marin County Public Health and Kaiser Permanente, will be hosting a Town Hall Meeting and Panel Discussion on student vaccinations for parents, guardians and the school community. The Town Hall is available by Zoom and Facebook LIVE.
- Flyer (English / Spanish): https://bit.ly/May11SchoolsTownHall
- Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88011613451?pwd=WG0rbm1HSEViUklGcjZjczZKcDBMQT09
- Facebook LIVE Link: www.facebookcom/marincoe
COVID-19 Testing at the District Office
Everyone who lives or works in Marin and is 16 years old or older may receive a vaccine.
- Book an appointment
- Learn more during weekly vaccine informational sessions hosted by Public Health, every Tuesday and Thursday at 9 a.m. through May 27.
COVID-19 Information & Resources – vaccines, testing, public health orders
In-Person Instruction Information – safety plans, exposure measures
Bacich Bears News
Dear Bacich Families,
A special thanks to all of the parents who made last week so meaningful for our staff. We could really feel the love and appreciation on campus all week.
We are in full swing this month reading about and discussing our abilities and differences. Students are learning about growth mindset and the power of "yet." They are also learning that sometimes people’s abilities are different, but we are all people and we can also have many things in common. And we highlight the greatest message of all, "It is always more fun when we make room for everyone." Please consider talking to your child about what they are learning.
I am excited to share that fourth grade promotion will be held outside for their immediate family members to be able to attend. There are important health guidelines we will need to follow that include social distancing, number of guests and mask wearing, but I know it will be a joyous event. We also plan to livestream the promotion into the classrooms so all students will be able to watch the short ceremony. Promotion will begin at 9:00 a.m on Friday, June 11, 2021. A recording of the event will also be made available.
I’d like to remind you of my Parent Square post about needing applicants for School Site Council. Thank you for taking the time to consider being a part of this important committee. All the information you need to know can be found on the post linked above.
Finally, save the date for our last Principal Chat on May 19 at 8:45 a.m. The topic is End of the Year Updates and Next Year Plans. Please come with your questions and feedback. I am looking forward to a great final chat.
Mary Ann Spitzer
May 14, 2021
May 19, 2021:
Bacich Principal Chat, 8:45 a.m. Theme: End of the Year Updates and Next Year Plans
May 20, 2021
- Kindergarten Sneak Peek for Incoming Kindergarteners 2021-2022
Attention 4th Grade Families! Save the Date!
- Promotion Ceremony on June 11, 2021, 9 a.m.
- Immediate family only. Event livestream and recording will be available.
- More information on safety guidelines will be available soon.
Kindergarten Sneak Peek for Incoming Kindergarteners 2021-2022*
Thursday, May 20, 2021
Last Name A-L:
- 12:45-1:00 p.m.: Check In
- 1:00-1:30 p.m.: Incoming kindergarteners visit the classroom with Bacich teachers and staff
Last Name M-Z
- 2:00-2:15 p.m.: Check In
- 2:15-2:45 p.m.: Incoming kindergarteners visit the classroom with Bacich teachers and staff
Please contact Lynn Bartha with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
*This event is for students who are fully registered for fall 2021.
We are now accepting applications for the Bacich School Site Council for 2021-2022.
The School Site Council is made up of parents, teachers and administrators who meet monthly to advise the principal on student academics, parent engagement and school safety.
- Learn more about Bacich Site Council.
- Please complete this google form by May 14.
- Community voting will take place the week of May 17-21.
- Newly elected SSC members will be invited to attend our last meeting on May 24 at 3:00pm.
Bacich Library Check Out and Curbside Pick Up
- Email the books you want to check out to Librarian Ms. Warnick email@example.com.
- See the library blog for instructions on how to access the Alexandria Library Catalog to look for books.
- Some books may be able to be delivered to the classrooms, and the others will pick up their orders on Friday. Ms. Warnick will let you know. Curbside pick up available every Friday in front of the Bacich Office. The books will be placed in plastic bags with your names on them on a cart.
- Please return books on Friday in the red plastic bin labeled, "Return Bacich Library Books Here" in front of the office.
Kent Falcons News
Greetings Kent Families,
Thank you to our community of parents, students, and community members who shared their appreciations to our teachers and staff in honor of Educator Appreciation week last week. The kind notes, fragrant flowers, and delicious treats across the week lifted spirits and communicated a clear message of value and appreciation. Thank you for these kind efforts!
Please plan to join me this Friday, May 14 for our monthly Principal Chat at Kent. This month’s Principal Chat will focus on transitions to the next grade level. What are the key elements of the next grade level at Kent? What are the best strategies to set my child up for success next year? How does the school plan to meet my child’s needs next year? Expect to get these questions answered, as well as many more, as Assistant Principal Wendy Holmes and I facilitate a discussion on the transition into the 2021-2022 school year for you and your child.
As you may be aware, our Kent School Site Council is a planning and decision making body made up of Kent staff, parents, and students. During our monthly meetings we discuss current events at our school, as well as big picture goals and initiatives that impact our community. It is an engaged group of stakeholders that encourage positive change through their questioning, discussion, and collaboration.
Two parent seats on the Kent Site Council are open for the 2021-2022 school year, and I invite any interested incoming 5th or 6th grade parent/guardian to submit your name for consideration for one of these three-year terms. The Site Council meets on the first Tuesday of the month from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Kent Office. If you are interested in serving on our Kent School Site Council, please email site council member Ina Gotleib (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Thursday, May 20. All applicants are invited to share a short summary of their interests and qualifications to serve on this committee. My sincere appreciation to current and future site council members for their many contributions to our school.
Week of May 10: MAP Growth spring math and reading assessments for 5th grade students
May 14, 2021
- Rising 6th and 7th grade students – Zero period instrumental, choir, and jazz music ensembles interest form due to indicate your child’s interest to participate in our zero period instrumental, choir, and jazz music ensembles.
- Kent Principal Chat, 9:15 a.m. Theme: Transitions to the next grade level.
- Last day to order 8th Grade Hoodie from KSPTA – see information below.
May 20, 2021
8th Grade Families – Save the Date!
- Graduation: June 10, 2021, 6 p.m., Kent field
- Safety protocols, attendee capacity, and more information to be provided soon.
- Orders close May 13!
Kent Counselors Wellness Hub: Easily access resources to help navigate this challenging time.
- Email Ms. Jelen at email@example.com to check out books.
- Return books to the same cart where you pick up books – right outside the Kent gate when it's not raining and right in front of the library when it is.
Kent School Site Council
We are now accepting applications for Site Council positions.
The Kent School Site Council is a planning and decision making body made up of Kent staff, parents, and students. During our monthly meetings we discuss current events at our school, as well as big picture goals and initiatives that impact our community. It is an engaged group of stakeholders that encourage positive change through their questioning, discussion, and collaboration.
- Learn more about Kent Site Council
- Two open positions for 2021-2022
- Incoming 5th or 6th grade parent/guardian are encouraged to apply for one of these three-year terms.
- If you are interested in serving on our Kent School Site Council, please email site council member Ina Gotleib (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Thursday, May 20.
Attention 8th Grade Families! Order a graduating class hoodie!
We are starting a new tradition at Kent Middle School this year with hoodies for the 8th grade graduating class! This is a fundraiser for the KSPTA and a wonderful memento of the children’s time at Kent!! The sweatshirts will have the Kent Logo, the year they are graduating on the sleeve and a name list of all of the graduating 8th graders on the back.
- The cost is $40/sweatshirt and the sizing is men’s S, M, L & XL
- Deadline for Ordering is May 14!
Please log onto this google spreadsheet to enter your order and send your payment right away to Susan Brownridge via Venmo (@Susan-Brownridge) or PayPal (email@example.com), please make a notation of your 8th grader's name in the payment. We will not be able to submit your order until your payment has been received
Thank you for ordering and please contact Susan Brownridge at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
Student Wellness Opportunity
The Youth Leadership Institute is hosting a virtual Mental Health Panel for Middle School students. The panel will provide middle school students with the opportunity to ask current high schoolers questions they may have regarding the transition to high school, how to prioritize their mental health, manage classes, practice self-care, etc.
Students interested in attending the panel should complete this form: bit.ly/mhpanelregistration
May 28, 2021, 4-5:30 p.m., Zoom
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/99129905007
- Meeting ID: 991 2990 5007
THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING!
- We appreciate everyone who participated in the KIK Spring Auction!
- The money we raise supports all Bacich and Kent kids
Check out the complete list of all of KIK Spring Auction business and 119 family donors and sign up party hosts. Thank you for supporting our schools!
PLEASE SUPPORT FUND-A-NEED: KIK GRANTS FOR KIDS
Give to Fund-a-Need today: KIK Grants for KSD Kids
- KIK Grants will be administered with the help of the KSPTA.
- These grants directly fund and support learning across all grades at Bacich and Kent.
Thank you to this year’s Fund-A-Need donors. Can we add you this list? Please support KIK Grants today—donations accepted through June.
THANK YOU TO KIK AUCTION SPONSORS
- Woodlands Market | Left Bank | Own Marin | Boulevard Real Estate | Carey Condy Real Estate | Colleen Fitzpatrick Real Estate | Allison Fortini Crawford Real Estate | Fuel 24:7 | Domain Marin | Gorton & Schmohl Orthodontics | Body By Buresh | SF2BAY | Mynsberge & Ruggles Oral Surgery | Nichols Orthodontics | Together Home | Amanda Mullholland Compass | MacRostie Winery | Farm to Function | William Tell House
TUES 5/11: KIK FAMILY MEALS WITH LEFT BANK, 20% TO KIK
Every Tuesday Left Bank creates a KIK family dinner for $50 and donates 20% back to our schools. Opt in to get a weekly email reminder to order.
- May 11: Beef Bourguignon with mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, salad verte
- If you need extra portions of the meat or different sides, call Ryan at Left Bank to customize a Family Meal that works for you: 415-927-3331
- Check out another Left Bank promotion that also gives back to KIK!
ORDER NOW for pickup on Tuesday. Select “KIK Family Meal.”
ANNUAL COMMITMENT — May Update
There are only 5 weeks left in our school year—and $250,000 left to raise— to support our students and the programs they love. We welcome your support.
- $1M Annual Commitment Status : $779,962 (net) to date
Donate today to help meet the Annual Commitment
Thank you to the 350 KIK Donors and counting that have been committed to our students this year!
See Current Donor Wall
Deadline Approaching – Don't Miss Out! Limited Edition Spirit Wear! Orders due by May 13.
It is not too late to get a super-soft, limited edition tee for the little and grown up Bears and Falcons in your lives.
Are these tees just for grads? No! They are to honor all students for making it through the 20/21 school year which was like no other.
For the graduating Bears and Falcons, there are signs for your front yard.
The Kids Closet needs your donations!
We will be collecting donations Tuesday, May 11 through Friday, May 14 from 8-10 a.m. and Wednesday, May 12 from 3-5 p.m.
Please bring your new or gently used clothing to the Bacich Community Center or the Bacich morning car line where volunteers will be available to help. Thank you!
School Lunch Program with School Foodies
Daily lunch service at Kent and weekly pick-up for Bacich available.
Shop Farm Fresh Produce & Support KSPTA
KSPTA is offering a healthy new way to raise funds for our schools!
We have partnered with “Farm Fresh to You” and 10% of all orders will benefit our kids and teachers in the classroom. Enjoy well-priced and delicious produce and a huge selection of other grocery items delivered right to your door!
Use promo code: kspta
Interested in getting involved in the KSPTA?
Reach out to Erica Applestein, KSPTA President, at email@example.com to learn more about the difference you'll make as a KSPTA leader.
Information, events, and news provided in our newsletter's "Community News" is offered as service to our community, and are not sponsored by the Kentfield School District. Placement does not represent an endorsement.
Education Outreach Survey
Digital Marin is a cross-sector collaboration between residents and government, education, nonprofit, business, and other sectors to develop a countywide roadmap for improving internet access, disaster resilience, data sharing, and digital services.
Digital Marin is seeking feedback from the education community via a brief online survey. Responses are anonymous.
Your input will help identify potential projects and priorities for a forward-facing roadmap to ensure that everyone has access to reliable and affordable broadband with the devices and knowledge to take advantage of all online opportunities and services.
- Please take a few minutes to complete the online survey at www.surveymonkey.com/r/DigitalMarinEducation.
Rediscover Summer Fun & Support KSPTA!
At Camp Galileo, pre-K through 5th graders tackle hands-on art and science challenges that ignite their inner innovator and boost their creative confidence—all in COVID-safe cohorts that spend 75% of the day outdoors (and 100% of it having unforgettable fun).
Flexible enrollment policies and financial assistance scholarships available. Program running June 21 - August 6 at Kent Middle School. Optional extended care. Learn more at www.galileo-camps.com.
Galileo is thrilled to announce their School Rewards program! From now through the end of May Galileo will donate $25 to KSPTA for every family that enrolls at Camp Galileo. Plus, you’ll get $25 off camp with code 2021REWARDS19.
Curbside Information and Book Bundles
While the Corte Madera Library building is currently closed, you may request and return items, and find details about Curbside Service at marinlibrary.org.
- Tuesday & Wednesday 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Thursday 3-7 p.m.
Call our “Talk with a Librarian” number: 415-473-2272 Monday-Friday, 9-6 p.m. English and Spanish with any questions and information.
This free helpline provides free trauma-informed, evidenced-based emotional support to parents, children and youth in any language via calls, text, live chat, and email.
- Available 7 days a week from 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Parents can join a Weekly Online Support Group through the website: caparentyouthhelpline.org.
- Helpline #: 855-427-2736